Need Association Management?

Contact Us

archdale NC


William Douglas Property Management offers HOA Management and Association Management services in Archdale, NC

Archdale, NC Facts & Information

Archdale is a municipality located mainly in Randolph County, with portions in Guilford County. Archdale is chartered as a municipal city, and the charter was amended to a city charter in July of 1969. Archdale was originally known as “Bush Hill” and was chartered as a town by the North Carolina General Assembly in February of 1874.

—————————–

An Interesting Point About the Changing Town Name

‘What’s In A Name?’ Spoken by Juliet, Act 2 Scene 2 Romeo & Juliet – William Shakespeare 

Reportedly, the origin of the future Archdale was a tract of land given by the King of England to a group of Quakers in 1787. This land grant was for many hundreds of acres. Bush Hill, which was to eventually become Archdale, developed in the earlier 1800s. The Bush Hill area was originally settled by Quakers who had sailed to Charleston, South Carolina. Quakers immigrated in significant numbers to Charleston between 1680 to 1790 when they were being persecuted in Europe. The Quakers who settled Bush Hill are believed to have the same that primarily arrived in Charleston between 1752 and 1771. These Quakers had sailed to Charleston instead of following William Penn to Pennsylvania. In Charleston, the Quakers established a monthly meeting of Friends at Bush River, and this is where the name of Bush Hill derived.

By around 1820, the Quakers had established an extensive farming operation in the future Bush Hill area. The future Bush Hill area had developed into a large pocket of Quakers by this time. The community’s name “Bush Hill” appears to have only come into common usage before the time of the American Civil War in the 1850s.   

In the development of the United States and homesteading of settlers, many communities “sprang up.” They sprang up along old Native American trading paths, river fords, mountain passes, railroad stops, and many times there were no official names of these communities. It was common for a community to be named after a natural element found in the area or after the founding family’s last name. It was just as common for a town to be named after the postmaster or postmistress, especially if the mail being delivered needed a delivery location such as “Hunt’s Store.” Many times, this would develop into the name of the community. 

In the early days of the United States postal system, it was common, more common than not, that mail was essentially processed and moved by third parties from pickup to delivery, or “kind of” third parties. What is meant by “kind of” third parties is that the United States Post Office Department would enter into an agreement with a party in a community to accept and deliver mail on behalf of the United States Post Office Department. This party would have the title of postmaster or postmistress. 

In the late 1700s, 1800s, and early 1900s, this third party would typically be the owner of a general store or general merchandise store in a community. The United States Post Office Department would seek to establish a post office within these general stores because they were centers of population, and that population would commonly frequent these establishments. The third-party owners of these establishments would actively seek out a post office contract because of the additional consumer traffic it would generate to their store and their additional compensation from operating the post office.

What would become the Archdale post office was originally Hunt’s Store. This was established by the United States Post Office Department on August 22, 1825. Nathan Hunt Jr. was the first postmaster. It is believed that his store once stood at the intersection of Main Street and Highway 610. For some reason, the Hunt Store post office name was changed to “Bloomington” on June 15, 1858. On November 9, 1865, the post office was moved east and took the name of the community Bush Hill. The name Bush Hill was changed to Archdale on March 27, 1887.

The new community’s name “Archdale” was in honor of John Archdale. John Archdale (1642-1717) was a Quaker and the British colonial Governor of North Carolina in 1695 and 1696. 

 

—————————–

In the later part of the 1800s, Archdale was a manufacturing center for the upper Piedmont region of North Carolina. Archdale had a renowned shoe factory, Bush Hill Shoe. There was a tannery, brickyard, and millwork manufacturing plant. The small town of Archdale was also known for a place to outfit wagon trains heading west. At this time, Archdale was home to a newspaper and a college prep school. 

The first school in Bush Hill was constructed in 1876. The citizens of Bush Hill came to the conclusion their children should have their own school and not have to travel outside the community. Eleven men, spearheaded by W.C. Petty, raised contributions from $5.00 to $100.00 to buy the land and construct the school building. The school’s initial student body consisted of just over 100 students. The curriculum included Latin, algebra, English, music, and other courses to prepare the students for advanced learning. The upstairs of the school building was built and used as a Quaker meeting room. 

Beginning in the early 1900s, Archdale became a bedroom community for High Point. By the mid-1950s, most of the industry was gone from Archdale, and Archdale was exclusively a bedroom community for High Point. The improved Interstate highway systems of the 1980s began transforming Archdale into a bedroom community for Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and further points. 

  • Location/Coordinates of Archdale per Google Earth – Latitude: 35°54′52.50″ N  Longitude: 79°58′19.14″ W
  • Archdale, per Google Earth, coordinates noted above, is 866 feet above sea level.
  • U.S. Highway 62 is a federal highway that is a thoroughfare in Archdale.- Interstate 74, Interstate 85, Interstate 85 Business, Interstate 73, and Interstate 40 are the major thoroughfares through and around Archdale. North Carolina Highway 1009, North Carolina Highway 610 are the major state road thoroughfares through Archdale.
  • The population of Archdale was determined to be 11,907, per the 2020 United States Census. As of the 2010 United States Census, this was a population increase of only four percent.  
  • The population of Archdale was determined to be 11,415 per the 2010 United States Census.
  • Bush Hill, as Archdale was known before 1887, was chartered in 1874, and the first United States Census was the 1890 Census, and Archdale/Bush Hill’s population was calculated to be 224. 
  • The total land area of Archdale is 8.21 square miles based on the 2010 United States Census.  
  • City of Archdale slogan: “Archdale – Unity ● Loyalty ● Progress”
  • Archdale’s population per square mile is 1,389.8 per the 2010 United States Census. 
  • Archdale, per the 2010 United States Census, has 1,210 businesses or firms within the city limits. 

 

Randolph County

Randolph County was formed from a portion of Guilford County in 1779. Randolph County was named in honor of Peyton Randolph (1721-1775). Peyton Randolph was the first and third president of the Continental Congress (September 5, 1774 – October 22, 1774, and May 10, 1775 – May 24, 1775), and thus the first leader of the United States. Per the 2010 United States Census, the land area of Randolph County was 782.52 square miles. Randolph County is located more or less in the center of North Carolina. Randolph County borders Alamance, Chatham, Davidson, Guilford, Montgomery, and Moore counties. 

  • In 1796, Asheboro was established as the county seat of Randolph. 
  • The population of Randolph County was determined to be 144,171, per the 2020 United States Census.   
  • The population of Randolph County was determined to be 141,752 per the 2010 United States Census.
  • Randolph County’s first United States Census was the 1790 Census, and the population was calculated to be 7,318. 

archdale nc


William Douglas Property Management offers HOA Management and Association Management services in Archdale, NC

Archdale, NC Facts & Information

Archdale is a municipality located mainly in Randolph County, with portions in Guilford County. Archdale is chartered as a municipal city, and the charter was amended to a city charter in July of 1969. Archdale was originally known as “Bush Hill” and was chartered as a town by the North Carolina General Assembly in February of 1874.

—————————–

An Interesting Point About the Changing Town Name

‘What’s In A Name?’ Spoken by Juliet, Act 2 Scene 2 Romeo & Juliet – William Shakespeare

Reportedly, the origin of the future Archdale was a tract of land given by the King of England to a group of Quakers in 1787. This land grant was for many hundreds of acres. Bush Hill, which was to eventually become Archdale, developed in the earlier 1800s. The Bush Hill area was originally settled by Quakers who had sailed to Charleston, South Carolina. Quakers immigrated in significant numbers to Charleston between 1680 to 1790 when they were being persecuted in Europe. The Quakers who settled Bush Hill are believed to have the same that primarily arrived in Charleston between 1752 and 1771. These Quakers had sailed to Charleston instead of following William Penn to Pennsylvania. In Charleston, the Quakers established a monthly meeting of Friends at Bush River, and this is where the name of Bush Hill derived.

By around 1820, the Quakers had established an extensive farming operation in the future Bush Hill area. The future Bush Hill area had developed into a large pocket of Quakers by this time. The community’s name “Bush Hill” appears to have only come into common usage before the time of the American Civil War in the 1850s.   

In the development of the United States and homesteading of settlers, many communities “sprang up.” They sprang up along old Native American trading paths, river fords, mountain passes, railroad stops, and many times there were no official names of these communities. It was common for a community to be named after a natural element found in the area or after the founding family’s last name. It was just as common for a town to be named after the postmaster or postmistress, especially if the mail being delivered needed a delivery location such as “Hunt’s Store.” Many times, this would develop into the name of the community.

In the early days of the United States postal system, it was common, more common than not, that mail was essentially processed and moved by third parties from pickup to delivery, or “kind of” third parties. What is meant by “kind of” third parties is that the United States Post Office Department would enter into an agreement with a party in a community to accept and deliver mail on behalf of the United States Post Office Department. This party would have the title of postmaster or postmistress.

In the late 1700s, 1800s, and early 1900s, this third party would typically be the owner of a general store or general merchandise store in a community. The United States Post Office Department would seek to establish a post office within these general stores because they were centers of population, and that population would commonly frequent these establishments. The third-party owners of these establishments would actively seek out a post office contract because of the additional consumer traffic it would generate to their store and their additional compensation from operating the post office.

What would become the Archdale post office was originally Hunt’s Store. This was established by the United States Post Office Department on August 22, 1825. Nathan Hunt Jr. was the first postmaster. It is believed that his store once stood at the intersection of Main Street and Highway 610. For some reason, the Hunt Store post office name was changed to “Bloomington” on June 15, 1858. On November 9, 1865, the post office was moved east and took the name of the community Bush Hill. The name Bush Hill was changed to Archdale on March 27, 1887.

The new community’s name “Archdale” was in honor of John Archdale. John Archdale (1642-1717) was a Quaker and the British colonial Governor of North Carolina in 1695 and 1696.

 

—————————–

In the later part of the 1800s, Archdale was a manufacturing center for the upper Piedmont region of North Carolina. Archdale had a renowned shoe factory, Bush Hill Shoe. There was a tannery, brickyard, and millwork manufacturing plant. The small town of Archdale was also known for a place to outfit wagon trains heading west. At this time, Archdale was home to a newspaper and a college prep school.

The first school in Bush Hill was constructed in 1876. The citizens of Bush Hill came to the conclusion their children should have their own school and not have to travel outside the community. Eleven men, spearheaded by W.C. Petty, raised contributions from $5.00 to $100.00 to buy the land and construct the school building. The school’s initial student body consisted of just over 100 students. The curriculum included Latin, algebra, English, music, and other courses to prepare the students for advanced learning. The upstairs of the school building was built and used as a Quaker meeting room.

Beginning in the early 1900s, Archdale became a bedroom community for High Point. By the mid-1950s, most of the industry was gone from Archdale, and Archdale was exclusively a bedroom community for High Point. The improved Interstate highway systems of the 1980s began transforming Archdale into a bedroom community for Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and further points.

  • Location/Coordinates of Archdale per Google Earth – Latitude: 35°54′52.50″ N  Longitude: 79°58′19.14″ W
  • Archdale, per Google Earth, coordinates noted above, is 866 feet above sea level.
  • U.S. Highway 62 is a federal highway that is a thoroughfare in Archdale.- Interstate 74, Interstate 85, Interstate 85 Business, Interstate 73, and Interstate 40 are the major thoroughfares through and around Archdale. North Carolina Highway 1009, North Carolina Highway 610 are the major state road thoroughfares through Archdale.
  • The population of Archdale was determined to be 11,907, per the 2020 United States Census. As of the 2010 United States Census, this was a population increase of only four percent.
  • The population of Archdale was determined to be 11,415 per the 2010 United States Census.
  • Bush Hill, as Archdale was known before 1887, was chartered in 1874, and the first United States Census was the 1890 Census, and Archdale/Bush Hill’s population was calculated to be 224.
  • The total land area of Archdale is 8.21 square miles based on the 2010 United States Census.
  • City of Archdale slogan: “Archdale – Unity ● Loyalty ● Progress”
  • Archdale’s population per square mile is 1,389.8 per the 2010 United States Census.
  • Archdale, per the 2010 United States Census, has 1,210 businesses or firms within the city limits.

 

Randolph County

Randolph County was formed from a portion of Guilford County in 1779. Randolph County was named in honor of Peyton Randolph (1721-1775). Peyton Randolph was the first and third president of the Continental Congress (September 5, 1774 – October 22, 1774, and May 10, 1775 – May 24, 1775), and thus the first leader of the United States. Per the 2010 United States Census, the land area of Randolph County was 782.52 square miles. Randolph County is located more or less in the center of North Carolina. Randolph County borders Alamance, Chatham, Davidson, Guilford, Montgomery, and Moore counties.

  • In 1796, Asheboro was established as the county seat of Randolph.
  • The population of Randolph County was determined to be 144,171, per the 2020 United States Census.   
  • The population of Randolph County was determined to be 141,752 per the 2010 United States Census.
  • Randolph County’s first United States Census was the 1790 Census, and the population was calculated to be 7,318.

Need Association Management?

Contact Us