Planning for disaster is one of those tasks that unfortunately seems to be put on a backburner. Out of sight, out of mind, is human nature with non-pressing issues. As with any emergency or potentially stressful situation, preparation may be more difficult when the situation is upon the HOA member. That is why planning well beforehand is so vital to a successful outcome to disasters.
While there is no guarantee of any disaster planning, the following tips could be of benefit to the HOA membership in the event of a disaster.
- Maintain a corded telephone landline, it could possibly work even in the event of power loss.
- Maintain an emergency phone list.
- Maintain a list of family contact information including nonlocal family members who can serve as an emergency contact.
- Maintain spare batteries and car phone chargers for back-up power.
- Signup for text alert services from local or state governments for emergency alerts.
- Social media, e-mail, and text messaging may not be subject to network congestion and may be more reliable in a disaster.
William Douglas Management, providing excellent management services to HOAs and condominium associations since 1980.
Copyright 2018 William Douglas Management, Inc.