Need Association Management?

Contact Us

Weaverville NC


William Douglas Property Management offers HOA Management and Association Management services in Weaverville, NC

Weaverville, NC Facts & Information

Weaverville is a small municipality located near Asheville in Buncombe County, North Carolina. Weaverville is chartered as a town. Per the 2010 United States Census, the land area of Weaverville is 3.86 square miles. Weaverville ranks as the 171st largest municipality in the state of North Carolina. The location or coordinates of Weaverville are, per Google Earth – Latitude: 35°41′49.37″ N, Longitude: 82°33′38.47″ W. The elevation above sea level of Weaverville is, per the Google Earth location or coordinates just noted, 2,193 feet. The climate of Weaverville is considered to be a year-round moderate climate. 

The first recorded inhabitants of the future Weaverville area were the Cherokee Indians. The 1715 Carolina Native America Census estimated the population of the Cherokee people to be 11,200, spread out among sixty villages in the western North Carolina mountains. By the time of the forced removal and relocation in 1838, it is estimated that only a few hundred individual Cherokee escaped into the mountains to avoid this fate of relocation. The first settlers of European descent to arrive in the future Weaverville area arrived at the end of the 1700s.    

The first census for Weaverville was the 1880 United States Census after the town was incorporated, and the population was calculated to be 147. Weaverville’s population in the past forty years has grown exponentially. Weaverville’s 1980 United States Census tabulated the population to be 1,495. Within twenty years, the population had more than double to 3,120 by the 2010 United States Census. The Weaverville population, per the 2020 United States Census, had risen to 4,103. Compared to the 2010 and 2020 United States Censuses, this is a 31.51% population growth increase. However, compared to the 1980 and 2020 United States Censuses, this is a 174.45% population growth increase. The population per square mile of Weaverville is 1,062.95 per the 2020 United States Census. Per the United States Census Bureau, there are 1,783 households in Weaverville. The average household in Weaverville has 2.14 occupants.

Reverend John Weaver (1763-1830) and his wife Elizabeth Biffle Weaver (1773-1843) are the first documented settlers to the Dry Ridge area in what would become Weaverville. John and Elizabeth had a total of eleven children, six daughters and five sons. Weaverville was named for their son, Reverend Michael Montraville Weaver (1808 – 1882), who donated the land for the Town of Weaverville. 

What became Weaverville has been known by different names through the years. Native Americans reportedly called the area “Dry Ridge” because of the dry environment found there. When settlers of European descent began arriving in the future Weaverville area, the general area became known as Reem’s Creek or Reems Creek. Buncombe County has twenty-eight Townships, and Reems Creek Township is one of those townships. Weaverville is within Reems Creek Township. 

Reems Creek is an actual creek that is a tributary to the French Broad River, which flows through the Weaverville area. Legend has it that the name “Reems” comes from a man named “Rims,” an early pioneer killed by the Cherokee Indians near the creek’s mouth. There have been various names used for the creek as well “Reams Creek,” “Reem’s Creek’s,” “Reem Creek,” “Rheims Creek,” and “Rims Creek.” Reems Creek appears to have come into common use in the early 1840s or was noted in newspaper article accounts of that time period.  

The mountains of North Carolina opened up to settlers of European descent after signing the Treaty of Holston; it is also known as the Treaty of the Holston. The Treaty of Holston was a treaty between the government of the United States and the Cherokee people agreed to and signed on July 2, 1791.  

In the early 1800s, early settlers began assembling for religious camp meetings near the south end of College Street in what would become Weaverville. This was on land first known as the Reems Creek Camp Grounds. There is a large conference house constructed in the 1830s that housed the Methodist assembly, which also became the first school in the area in 1840. Camp meetings are religious gatherings of worshippers, primarily in rural areas, who congregated in simple or primitive camps for typically a week to live and worship together. Camp meetings originated in the early 1800s on the American frontier or where there were sporadic pockets of populations. Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist were the predominant denominations partaking in camp meeting events.  

-By the time of the American Civil War, there were 121 families in the Reems Creek area. Many of these families owning more than 1,000 acres. 

-Weaverville College was an institution of advanced learning founded in 1873 that offered four-year college degrees up through 1912. In 1912, the college converted to a junior college offering two-year degrees. Because of the economic crisis caused by the Great Depression of the 1930s, Weaverville College merged with Rutherford College into Brevard College in Brevard, North Carolina. The former Weaver College president’s house is now the Dry Ridge Bed and Breakfast. 

  • Weaverville was incorporated by the North Carolina General Assembly and signed into law by the North Carolina Governor in April of 1875. 
  • Retail businesses and private residences were constructed along Main Street. 
  • Dr. James Americus Reagan (1824-1910) was the first mayor of Weaverville. Mayor Reagan was a circuit-riding Methodist preacher and was the first president of Weaver College. Mayor Reagan, along with the town council, began to layout roads and walkways.
  • An electric trolly arrived once electricity arrived in Weaverville.
  • The 1860 United States Post Office was located in McClure’s log cabin, Vandiver’s Store.
  • A United States Post Office was constructed in Weaverville in 2001 on North Main.
  • The first Weaverville Fire Department was established in 1912. The first truck was purchased in 1922. 
  • In 1958, a fire station was built on Merchants Alley, behind the 12 N. Main Town Hall. The fire station was moved to the Reagan Building on S. Main Street and then finally onto Monticello Road.
  • Zebulon B. Vance, North Carolina’s Civil War governor, was born in the adjacent Reems Creek community.

The Dr. John G. & Nannie H. Barrett Farm, Brigman-Chambers House, Joseph P. Eller House, Weaverville United Methodist Church, and Zebulon H. Baird House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Weaverville nc


William Douglas Property Management offers HOA Management and Association Management services in Weaverville, NC

Weaverville, NC Facts & Information

Weaverville is a small municipality located near Asheville in Buncombe County, North Carolina. Weaverville is chartered as a town. Per the 2010 United States Census, the land area of Weaverville is 3.86 square miles. Weaverville ranks as the 171st largest municipality in the state of North Carolina. The location or coordinates of Weaverville are, per Google Earth – Latitude: 35°41′49.37″ N, Longitude: 82°33′38.47″ W. The elevation above sea level of Weaverville is, per the Google Earth location or coordinates just noted, 2,193 feet. The climate of Weaverville is considered to be a year-round moderate climate.

The first recorded inhabitants of the future Weaverville area were the Cherokee Indians. The 1715 Carolina Native America Census estimated the population of the Cherokee people to be 11,200, spread out among sixty villages in the western North Carolina mountains. By the time of the forced removal and relocation in 1838, it is estimated that only a few hundred individual Cherokee escaped into the mountains to avoid this fate of relocation. The first settlers of European descent to arrive in the future Weaverville area arrived at the end of the 1700s.    

The first census for Weaverville was the 1880 United States Census after the town was incorporated, and the population was calculated to be 147. Weaverville’s population in the past forty years has grown exponentially. Weaverville’s 1980 United States Census tabulated the population to be 1,495. Within twenty years, the population had more than double to 3,120 by the 2010 United States Census. The Weaverville population, per the 2020 United States Census, had risen to 4,103. Compared to the 2010 and 2020 United States Censuses, this is a 31.51% population growth increase. However, compared to the 1980 and 2020 United States Censuses, this is a 174.45% population growth increase. The population per square mile of Weaverville is 1,062.95 per the 2020 United States Census. Per the United States Census Bureau, there are 1,783 households in Weaverville. The average household in Weaverville has 2.14 occupants.

Reverend John Weaver (1763-1830) and his wife Elizabeth Biffle Weaver (1773-1843) are the first documented settlers to the Dry Ridge area in what would become Weaverville. John and Elizabeth had a total of eleven children, six daughters and five sons. Weaverville was named for their son, Reverend Michael Montraville Weaver (1808 – 1882), who donated the land for the Town of Weaverville.

What became Weaverville has been known by different names through the years. Native Americans reportedly called the area “Dry Ridge” because of the dry environment found there. When settlers of European descent began arriving in the future Weaverville area, the general area became known as Reem’s Creek or Reems Creek. Buncombe County has twenty-eight Townships, and Reems Creek Township is one of those townships. Weaverville is within Reems Creek Township.

Reems Creek is an actual creek that is a tributary to the French Broad River, which flows through the Weaverville area. Legend has it that the name “Reems” comes from a man named “Rims,” an early pioneer killed by the Cherokee Indians near the creek’s mouth. There have been various names used for the creek as well “Reams Creek,” “Reem’s Creek’s,” “Reem Creek,” “Rheims Creek,” and “Rims Creek.” Reems Creek appears to have come into common use in the early 1840s or was noted in newspaper article accounts of that time period.

The mountains of North Carolina opened up to settlers of European descent after signing the Treaty of Holston; it is also known as the Treaty of the Holston. The Treaty of Holston was a treaty between the government of the United States and the Cherokee people agreed to and signed on July 2, 1791.

In the early 1800s, early settlers began assembling for religious camp meetings near the south end of College Street in what would become Weaverville. This was on land first known as the Reems Creek Camp Grounds. There is a large conference house constructed in the 1830s that housed the Methodist assembly, which also became the first school in the area in 1840. Camp meetings are religious gatherings of worshippers, primarily in rural areas, who congregated in simple or primitive camps for typically a week to live and worship together. Camp meetings originated in the early 1800s on the American frontier or where there were sporadic pockets of populations. Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist were the predominant denominations partaking in camp meeting events.

-By the time of the American Civil War, there were 121 families in the Reems Creek area. Many of these families owning more than 1,000 acres.

-Weaverville College was an institution of advanced learning founded in 1873 that offered four-year college degrees up through 1912. In 1912, the college converted to a junior college offering two-year degrees. Because of the economic crisis caused by the Great Depression of the 1930s, Weaverville College merged with Rutherford College into Brevard College in Brevard, North Carolina. The former Weaver College president’s house is now the Dry Ridge Bed and Breakfast.

  • Weaverville was incorporated by the North Carolina General Assembly and signed into law by the North Carolina Governor in April of 1875.
  • Retail businesses and private residences were constructed along Main Street.
  • Dr. James Americus Reagan (1824-1910) was the first mayor of Weaverville. Mayor Reagan was a circuit-riding Methodist preacher and was the first president of Weaver College. Mayor Reagan, along with the town council, began to layout roads and walkways.
  • An electric trolly arrived once electricity arrived in Weaverville.
  • The 1860 United States Post Office was located in McClure’s log cabin, Vandiver’s Store.
  • A United States Post Office was constructed in Weaverville in 2001 on North Main.
  • The first Weaverville Fire Department was established in 1912. The first truck was purchased in 1922.
  • In 1958, a fire station was built on Merchants Alley, behind the 12 N. Main Town Hall. The fire station was moved to the Reagan Building on S. Main Street and then finally onto Monticello Road.
  • Zebulon B. Vance, North Carolina’s Civil War governor, was born in the adjacent Reems Creek community.

The Dr. John G. & Nannie H. Barrett Farm, Brigman-Chambers House, Joseph P. Eller House, Weaverville United Methodist Church, and Zebulon H. Baird House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Need Association Management?

Contact Us